With this exterior, I had an open-world style in mind. I've always been a fan of the different cultures and beautiful aesthetics surrounding the Sahara desert, and was inspired by my friend Alvin Johnsson's "Desert Market" piece. For this one, I wanted to make an area that would fit the real world, as well as a fantasy or sci-fi environment (with simple tweaks).
This piece turned out to be quite the learning experience. There was a lot of things I still wanted to learn at the end of TGA, so I decided to get to work researching them. There was a couple of things I managed to squeeze in, such as Parallax Occlusion Mapping, landscape height maps/sculpting, advanced materials in Unreal and different workflows to create foliage.
I modeled the assets in Autodesk Maya. Texturing (unique, tiling and masks) was made in Substance Designer and Substance Painter. Sculpting was done in Zbrush. I assembled and rendered the scene in Unreal Engine. A select few textures were taken from textures.com or Quixel and modified in Substance Designer to suit the scene.
This piece took about four weeks halftime.
Thanks to my wonderful project group:
Adam Nygren (https://www.artstation.com/adamnygren)
Alexander Schwandner (https://www.artstation.com/alexschwandner)
Fredrik Hägg (https://www.artstation.com/fredrikjh)
As well as these cool guys:
Alvin Johnsson (https://www.artstation.com/hargne)
Fer Kitsawat (https://www.artstation.com/ferkitsawat)
Erik Quinn (https://www.artstation.com/erikquinn)
Jacob Kroon (https://www.artstation.com/jacobkroon)
For being a constant source of great feedback and company during my portfolio, TGA, and these isolated times.